[DSE-Dev] refpolicy HEAD, Debian, ioctl on xconsole by syslogd

Erich Schubert erich at debian.org
Fri Dec 21 15:25:09 UTC 2007

Hi,
I'm still convinced of the opinion that /dev/xconsole has nothing to do
with the Xserver or devices. It's just a logging pipe, and that is
exactly where it should go to: the logging module.
The only thing I'm aware of linking xconsole with the Xserver is that
the xconsole program is one of a couple of utilities usually included
with the xserver...

>From the xconsole man page:
DESCRIPTION
The xconsole program displays messages which are usually sent to /dev/console.

Note that /dev/console has nothing to do with the xserver either. This
is not about seeing Xserver output. It's about seeing system console
output (which happens to be handled by system logging these days...)

Also note that IIRC the only thing that actually could write
to /dev/xconsole on SELinux is syslog, isn't it? The X server can not?

> What about to rename xconsole_device_t to xconsole_pipe_t?

Or logging_xconsole_pipe_t or so. Although something similar to the type
of /dev/console would be appropriate, I guess.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
   erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
    Go away or i'll replace you with a very small shell script.     //\