[DSE-Dev] Legacy ptys and futur of the selinux-basics package.

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Thu Dec 13 12:41:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012, Laurent Bigonville <bigon at debian.org> wrote:
> I was wondering, is the no-legacy-ptys.rules udev rule file still
> necessary? It seems that the old fashion tty devices are properly
> labeled, I'm thinking about dropping that file completely (in
> experimental).

The old fashioned tty devices might be properly labeled, but AFAIK they NEVER
worked correctly in the past and I don't expect things to have improved over
the years of them not being used.

> I was also thinking about getting rid of that package (moving the
> initscript doing the relabeling stuffs in the policycoreutils package)
> or maybe only keeping it for troubleshooting purposes.
>
> Any comments on this?

The current way things are relabelled is ugly, if you have ideas for improving
it then that would be great.  But it will be a major PITA which is why I've
never done anything about it, the current setup works well enough for me to
devote my time to other things.