[DSE-Dev] I've created secilc package, please sponsor

Mika Pflüger debian at mikapflueger.de
Sun May 11 12:56:35 UTC 2014

Hi Victor,

Victor Porton <porton at narod.ru> wrote:
> I've created CIL compiler for Debian:
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/secilc
>
> Please sponsor this my package.

Thanks for your work on secilc, it would be great to have it packaged
for debian.

From a quick inspection of the package (have not yet had time to
actually build it etc.) I see some problems which should be corrected
before the package can go into unstable:
* There is a massive patch in debian/patches/zz_debian-diff-auto, which
  changes all kinds of stuff in the package, adding multiple files
  including the whole src/cil_lexer.c , which normally is generated by
  flex from src/cil_lexer.l during the build. You have to clean that up
  and just let src/cil_lexer.c be generated during the package build
  (which should work just fine using the upstream Makefile). The other
  scripts you are adding should probably either go upstream (if they
  are generally useful), or be added in the debian/ directory, if they
  are debian-specific.
* There are some lintian warnings you proabably should fix, see the
  page on mentors or the output of
$ lintian -IEv --pedantic secilc_0.0.1-1.dsc
  which containt some warnings about dh-make templates which were left
  over, a wrong versioned debhelper build-depends and an old
  standards-version. Also, it would be cool if you could provide a
  watch file, which will enable debian infrastructure to automatically
  check for new releases of cil.
* Where do you take the version number of 0.0.1 from?
* The debian/copyright file states that the whole package is Copyright
  2014 James Carter; however, COPYING as well as the header of secilc.c
  claim Copyright 2011 Tresys Technologies, LLC. Looking into the git
  changelog, people from the NSA, Tresys and some others contributet.
  So I guess the Copyright should be at least something like Copyright
  2011-2014 Tresys Technologies, LLC; possibly additionally including
  Richard Haines or so.
  Also, the packaging (debian/*) is Copyright by you (I guess), so you
  should add that, too.

Cheers,

Mika