[Showme-devel] Fwd: ShowMeBox Kick-off

Kristoffer Rose krisrose at debian.org
Thu Aug 27 05:12:04 UTC 2015

Below my initial mail.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kristoffer Rose <kristoffer.rose at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 3:46 PM
Subject: ShowMeBox Kick-off
To: Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>, Bernelle Verster <bernellev at gmail.com>,
Graham Inggs <ginggs at debian.org>
Cc: Kristoffer Rose <krisrose at debian.org>, Kristoffer Rose <
Kristoffer.Rose at twosigma.com>

Dear Everyone,

The ShowMeBox got an enthusiastic reception here at Two Sigma! So as far as
I am concerned, we should find out what can truly be done.

At this point this leads me to ask the following *questions* of you, the
group:

1. Who is part of the project? I put our names in the ShowMeBox wiki[1] but
please add further names. (Two Sigma has not yet committed to be an
official partner but it may happen.) Should we have a mailing list?

2. Bernelle and Graham: a competition such as we envision requires that
there is a "Data Science Tutorial" stage to teach some people how to use
the ShowMeBox; these people are then the ones that travel to all the
competition locations and give a brief crash course in how to use the
machines they hand out...can such a group of volunteers be recruited? If
Two Sigma can help, what is the ideal way to do that (like should we send
someone over for a week in January, for example)?

3. Jonas, what do you need to find the ideal <$100 server hardware to use
and create an initial Debian image for it, RSN?

4. Everyone, if Two Sigma decides to outsource the "proper debian packaging
of beaker-notebook[2] and dependencies", do any of you know a DD or DM who
would take the job (at decent pay)?

There are more questions (like "how many competition sites - 100 or 10000?"
and "any other locations than Capetown?") but lets take those later.

Cheers,
  Kris

[1]https://wiki.debian.org/ShowMeBox
[2]https://github.com/twosigma/beaker-notebook