[Showme-devel] Catch up: Background research

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Oct 19 09:28:27 UTC 2015

Hi Bernelle, and others,

Quoting Bernelle Verster (2015-10-15 22:53:12)
> * From Gavin (friend and at [2]): I do recommend that you consider
> installing QGIS and other tools from DebianGIS [1] on it as standard.

Good suggestion.

Here's how how any of us (by help of teachers and Debian developers in
the respective field) can act on that even today:

 1) Install the Debian package ipython-notebook and python modules
    for GIS/weather/finance/mediceine/whatever you find relevant
 2) Run the command "ipython"
 3) In the web-based "notebook" ipython serves you, create a page
    with small simple data visualizations that makes use of the
    tools you picked, to demonstrate how one might use them.
 4) Save that notebook page and share here on the list.

For now we are limited to tools that has a Python interface, because we
are limited to ipython as notebook.  When (if in time for our project)
Beaker Notebook enters Debian and is stable enough to enter testing we
have access to a far larger wealth of (Debian-packaged!) tools, and can
then rewrite collected sample iPython notebooks into Beaker notebooks.

But please don't wait - put together sample visualizations for the tools
available today, today :-)

> Then, I was wondering if we should advertise this project to
> Developers to grow the team - do you feel you need more personpower?

We can always use more helping hands.

Concretely we need people testing the rudimentary install process.

People skilled in Debian packages can also help package dependencies of
Beaker Notebook, so that (if done fast enough) that cool tool can be
used for our project.

And obviously there are several other areas than geeky ones as well -
teachers and, as you mentioned yourself, funding.  And people interested
in organizing as you pay attention to, Bernelle - you will be busy at
organizing Debocnf, so please make 4-5 clones of you while at it :-)

 - Jonas