[Showme-devel] ShowMeBox poster at DebConf16

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Jun 20 09:34:52 UTC 2016

Quoting Siri Reiter (2016-06-20 11:07:57)
> On 06/13/2016 09:35 PM, Bernelle Verster wrote:
>> As Graham said, while all the info about the ShowMeBox is on the
>> Debian wiki, it's hard to see what it is exactly that we are doing,
>> and why. Would it be possible to design a poster, something simple
>> that can be used for multiple things in future, possibly, to display
>> at DebConf16?
>
> I would like to do a poster with a "generic" illustration, then text
> can be changed for the occasion.
>
> I imagine a small box with a chaos of graphs floating, spewing or
> exploding out of it.

Nice!

> I have no experience with graphs like I see here:
> https://pub.beakernotebook.com/publications/featured.
>
> I therefore have to use images from the online documentation for
> Beaker Notebook. Imagining the licensing will allow us to use them,
> they would still be the same graphs that have been circulating for a
> while, and anyone interested will find them first thing, when diving
> in. Thats' not cool.
>
> Any suggestions to how to get fresh examples?
>
> Since Showmebox is not tied to Beaker Notebook, there might be other
> examples accessible out there. Any pointers?
>
> The most convenient format to work with would be svg - vector
> graphics.
>
> Meanwhile/ worst case I'll use what I can find online, and we'll live
> with the downsides. It's going to look great anyway.

I recommend to skip research for ideal imagary at first - work on the
composition, and hope others do (at least the grunt work of) checking
licensing and/or locating/producing alternative material - in parallel.

SVG is best: Try make a complex composition, where you embed external
images (bitmapped or vector-based) and use Inkscape plugins to skew and
twist them.

Idea is that you can that way (if it works reliably, all the way to
print) maintain a layout where the underlying components (image grabs
etc.) can be easily replaced later, when we get better material.

 - Jonas