[Soc-coordination] Preparing a press release

Erich Schubert erich at debian.org
Sun Aug 6 22:15:57 UTC 2006

Hi,
Well, for a press release we shouldn't just throw some Ajax on them. ;-)

Here's my stab that is maybe useful for you. I tried to make it somewhat
fancy for a press release, though you'll probably still rewrite most of
it.
---
Artificial intelligence to help "tagging" software packages is the
project of student Alex de Landgraaf. "Tagging" has recently become very
popular due to it's use in blogs and by flickr, del.icio.us, last.fm and
other "Web 2.0" sites for classifying images, bookmarks, songs and other
data. Debian uses this for classifying software, to build an easy to use
directory of the available Linux software. Since Debian includes over
15000 software components, a user-friendly way of browsing this software
choice is needed, and tagging can hopefully offer this.
His work also includes making a web interface for manual tagging and
reviewing submitted changes, both of which will be assisted by the
artificial intelligence developed. The project is mentored by Debian
Developer Erich Schubert, who has been involved with Debian tagging
efforts since 2003.
---

Back to the techie stuff:
As for recent progress, we've just committed a complete rewrite of the
AI to svn, which should give us some larger speed gains (I hope). We can
now focus on improving match quality again. We're still using plain
naive bayesian, but I have some ideas on improving the results.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
      You know we all became mathematicians for the same reason:     //\