[Soc-coordination] Feedback / Suggestion / Discussion topic collection

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Fri Sep 29 05:11:46 UTC 2006

> The other big issue that has come to my mind is cross-organization
> projects. That is projects that "should" involve more than one mentoring
> organization.
> Especially with Linux distributions this should be fairly common, but I
> remember having read about other cases where this also arises; mostly
> integration projects.

The project we had this year about i18n ws already falling in that
category.

It was meant to work on the separation of backend and frontend in the
Pootle server, the goal being to help the developers of Pootle (a
localization framework developed by the WordForge project) to make
their code modular enough to have more suitable for future Debian
needs.

The work was mentored by Aigars Mahinovs who will talk about the
project itself, and its results, better than me.

But indeed, that is a perfect example of a project that is definitely
not Debian-specific. Pootle, for instance, is already used, or planned
to be used by several localization teams working in OpenOffice.org
development. It is also used, or planned to be used, by several
language teams who work on a trans-project basis.

For next year, I would really like to see us, Debian, continue to
propose at least one project of the same kind, with our specific needs
in mind, but shared with another project (could be Wordforge here...or
OOo....).

Another idea that popped up recently, namely during discussion I had
briefly at the OpenOffice.org conference 2 weeks ago, with Nadezha
Borat (hope I don't break her name too much, I can dig a little bit
deeper to find her exact name) who's in charge of Open
Source relations at Google, is the idea of a "Winter of localization"
(Winter because we were talking with someone from South Africa) where
would be encouraged the work of students (not computer science ones,
this time) not on coding but rather on localizing for Free Software.
I'm not sure that we have somethign to propose in that area in
Debian....but this is definitely something that could be of interest
for other FLOSS projects....and thus could benefit Debian indirectly.