[Soc-coordination] Re: Deciding on our applications

Lars Wirzenius liw at liw.iki.fi
Sun Apr 8 09:46:49 UTC 2007

On su, 2007-04-08 at 18:09 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Also, according to gstein of google, the overall failure rate of projects
> in GSoC is about 15% (about 1 in 7), while Debian's failure rate last
> year was 40% (4 in 10). So I figure we should be focussing on making
> sure we've got really good/dedicated mentors for the projects we end up
> picking this year.

I wasn't involved last year, but I agree with Anthony: we need to factor
in likelyhood of success into the selection criteria at a fairly high
priority. An moderately interesting, but successful project is better
than an exciting, but failed one.

--
Fundamental truth #5: Always ask the simple troubleshooting questions
first.