[Soc-coordination] Final report of the project "Piuparts improvements"

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Wed Oct 3 00:10:51 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I'm sorry I did not send this message earlier, it should have been a bit
higher in my TODO list.

As it is easy to guess from the project name, my project was about improving
piuparts.
I added some little features like the option --no-upgrade-test that allows
skipping the installation, upgrade and purging test, that have been requested
in the BTS some time ago.
Also, there was stuff that was not code changes, but necessary to improve
piuparts like packaging updates or bug fixes in stuff i have not touched :)
And also there was some major improvements. I think the most interesting
one is the custom scripts option, that allows run custom scripts inside the
piuparts chroot. So you can run a custom script: before installing or
upgrading, and after installing, removing or purging the package.

For a complete list of all the changes, you can take a look to the changelog
or browse the SVN at: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/piuparts

During the project, it was frustrating when I have to test the changes.
Testing even a small package requires some time and you need to test at least
8-10 different packages to be sure a change or new feature works and is not
breaking anything.

I plan to continue working soon in piuparts and address some of the wishlist
that bugs that are in the BTS and I did not have time to address during this
summer.

And to finish, thanks to Luk Claes for his patience, Lucas Nussbaum for his
commentaries and Javier Candeira for proof-reading.

Ana