[Soc-coordination] Google Summer of Code 2009: Debian's Shortlist

Mateusz 'Matthew' Marek matthew at matthew.org.pl
Sat Apr 11 14:07:24 UTC 2009

Hello

2009/4/10 Obey Arthur Liu <arthur at milliways.fr>:
> * KDE/Qt4 Adept 3.0 Package Manager:
> Petr Rockai, the original developer of Adept has offered help to anyone
> willing to adopt Adept. Sune Vuorela has offered help for any Qt4 and
> KDE related issues. *We really need a mentor here*. The student is quite
> competent but Google dictates that we provide a mentor to handle student
> management.

I want to ask someone for stay mentor for this project. I think that
this is very important project. Maybe not as aptitude or something
else, but it is still important. "Why?" someone wants to ask. "We have
aptitude, Synaptic, KPackage". OK, but KPackage doesn't support deb
package features (like debconf), I tried use this for some time, but
it has big problems with instaling everything, KPackage tried unistall
half system when I want to install xmms (it was in past, so maybe not
it is fixed, but it show how useless is this application). Synaptic
has problems with dependence. It show error when aptitude install
package without problems (actualy aptitude is still not perfect, in
future I want to make something like OPIUM (Optimal Package
Install/Unistall Manager -
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1248851 not drug)).
Aptitude-GTK? It use GTK+, not everyone wants to install GTK+, I use
KDE, why I need GTK. Debian is dependence on Gnome? Who cares? I want
KDE, I like KDE, it is big, it is slow, it is like cow, but I sill
prefer KDE that Gnome. Debian is most universal distro I even seen. If
you still want to dependece Debian on Gnome maybe is the moment to
rename Debian to Gebian (like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu). Actually
aptitude-gtk is still in develope, so only few people try to use this,
but in future before aptitude-qt will start, it takes some time.
Aptitude-ncurses? If there is a person which want to learn Linux, but
for this moment using console for them is too hard why he/she must be
force to use it?

Even if nobody stay mentor for this project I will try make it myself.
Maybe for scratch, maybe I will use OPIUm ideas, maybe I will spend on
this project few years. I don't care, I will make it. "OK, but why you
need to do it at GSoC?" someone may ask. Because... Google pay for
this. "You are idiot, go home!" someone may scream. But nobody says
that Open Source mean free. All Open Source programers work for free?
Nooooo... Linus, SuSE, Red Hat, I am not sure but few Debian
Developers too.
With money from GSoC I can buy 3-4 years old car in Poland. At GSoC I
must work only week for ticket from Poland to Spain. In my current job
I must work 4 weeks. So it is nothing bad that it is good way to make
money.

I am not competent as Arthur wrote. Actualy I am very lazy and stupid
person. But, as long as I make good job onebody should care about
that. I will make the best I can to finish this project (OK, this
project will never end, but you know what I mean).

So, if is courageous person to stay mentor for this project I will be
very, very grateful.

--
Mateusz "Matthew" Marek