[Soc-coordination] Google Summer of Code 2009: Debian's Shortlist

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Tue Apr 14 12:33:10 UTC 2009

On 14/04/09 at 11:46 +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> At least one of these 'students' had been in (with the same 'title') the
> previous year as well. So at least for me it seems that it is quite
> common to just use the funding of Google to get some WORK done, not
> necessarily to attract NEW people.

The fact that others are doing it doesn't mean that we should do it. I
think there's a quote from a famous politician that said "With such
arguments, you end up sleeping with your sister".

> We might just have too high
> standards ... Not that we should go all the way to NMap, I always found
> it very annoying to have to turn down some good applications because we
> didn't have any more slots, and seeing one-line applications get through
> at NMap... but I can definitely live with seeing a fellow DD *student* -
> that is still a requirement! - being funded for a worthy Debian project.

I would prefer if there was a clear rule that current contributors are
forbidden to apply to Debian Google Summer of Code projects.

Also, note that this year, the message we sent was terrible. In the
past, we had discussions about whether it was OK for current
contributors to apply, and as a result, no DD aplied last year. So
apparently, the consensus was that it was not OK (and even if people
disagreed with that, they refrained from applying).
Now, this year, some DDs applied, others refrained from applying, and
some DDs were selected. I mean, if we were going to accept DDs as
students, we should have made it public, so everybody could have
applied.

Since I think that we can agree that we won't reach a common position,
maybe we should solve it the Debian way: have a GR, or at least a poll,
on this. At least it will be clarified for next year.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |