[Soc-coordination] Debug packages progress report - week 8

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 18 14:21:27 UTC 2009

Hi there,

This week I haven't progressed as much as I wanted to, but I've done quite some
work nonetheless.

Done:

I looked at binutils and gcc and provided patches for binutils, gcc-snapshot,
gcc-4.4 and gcc-4.3 (the default as of today) to use --build-id by default. The
binutils patch is not good enough as it breaks the testsuite, but the gcc-4.4
and gcc-4.3 patches have been applied and are already in the archive! I guess
the gcc-snapshot one will be integrated in the next upload too, but that's not
important anyway as it's not used to build uploaded packages. So now we have
Build IDs for anything using the GNU compiler collection!

I've put a spec in the wiki and have asked the ftpmaster/wanna-be team to
comment on it. We had a discussion with them about the topic and they told me to
explain it further in the wiki, which I've done now. I've also asked Joey Hess
(debhelper maintainer) to look at the wiki page and tell me how it looks to him
from a debhelper perspective.

I've got my proof-of-concept patches to put debugging symbols files in the
.build-id directory. To get the build ids, I've used pbuildid from OpenSuSE.

I've packaged ptools (which only contains pbuildid for now). pbuildid contains
minimum dependencies (libc6, libelf, libpopt), only libpopt seems to be a new
one for debhelper (libc6/libelf are pulled from binutils).

I also looked at Elf-Extract-Sections perl module and packaged it and its
reverse dependencies (Jonathan Yu helped me here, thanks!). But as it brought
too many dependencies (debhelper only depends on perl and perl-base), I decided
to not use that.

TODO for the next week is to get final consensus and start to deploy code where
appropriate/possible. Also:

- Investigate size needs for the debug archive.
- Investigate support for python/mono
- Investigate if binNMUs/security updates/stable updates would require any
  changes

Cheers,
Emilio