[Soc-coordination] update-manager progress report week 2

Stephan Peijnik debian at sp.or.at
Fri Jun 5 17:57:24 UTC 2009

I started working on my project early during the community bonding
period. After a few chats with Michael we decided that it would probably
be the best option to rip apart update-manager completely and then put
everything together again, using a modular approach [0].

update-manager has gotten 3 plus 1 modules now, being the backend, the
frontend, the distribution specific module plus some glue code, tying
the other three modules together.

I also decided to ditch the old synaptics-based backend altogether and
started writing a new python-apt based backend.

Additionally I started documenting all code I either wrote myself or
that I started using again in the modular version. The reason for doing
so was that update-manager was hardly documented at all. All
documentation I wrote so far is based on docstrings and a few
restructured text files.
Combined the rst files and docstrings make up the update-manager API
documentation [1].

During the last week I was able to finish all three tasks I came up with
[2]. This means that update-manager's home is now on
alioth.debian.org/bzr.debian.org [3][4], the API documentation has been
generated and uploaded [1] and that the Debian-specific module is able
to fetch changelogs and the Gtk UI is able to display that information.

Additionally I created an update-manager-devel mailing list over at
alioth [5], which can be used for development discussion and is open to
everyone.

Right now I am trying to work out which tasks to finish next week, but I
am somewhat undecided. My TODO lists for each week are rather short
currently as my semester is about to end and a lot of assignments have
to be finished and handed in and I have to take some mandatory exams.
This should however change by 15th, after my last mandatory exam for
this semester, which will allow me to concentrate on update-manager
completely.

[0]
http://blog.peijnik.at/2009/04/24/update-manager-to-become-more-modular/
[1] http://update-manager.alioth.debian.org/doc/current/api/