[Soc-coordination] Face Authentication : GSOC-2009 applicant

charles blundell blundellc at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 22 11:50:11 UTC 2009

2009/3/22 Obey Arthur Liu <arthur at milliways.fr>:
> Honestly, I don't believe you or anyone can conjure a production-ready
> free facial recognition implementation in 3 months or that this is a
> project fit for Debian.

you are wrong.

kusum, are you aware this was done for last year's gsoc for opensuse?
http://code.google.com/p/pam-face-authentication/

it is based upon this paper:

Face Description with Local Binary Patterns: Application to Face
Recogition ||Timo Ahonen, Student Member, IEEE, Abdenour Hadid, and
Matti Pietik¨ainen, Senior Member, IEEE (Download From
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/mvg/files/pdf/pdf_730.pdf)

most likely an improvement would be to use something like SIFT* (but
not SIFT as this is patented; maybe SURF) for pose alignment. does
debian have anyone qualified to mentor this though? opensuse do, but
maybe you (kusum) would find this difficult with debian.

* this is SIFT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale-invariant_feature_transform