[Soc-coordination] Applying for improving Aptitude packages query utilities

sha liu sandyleo26 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 04:15:16 UTC 2009

 That sounds about right.  I'm currently expecting highlighting to be a
> separate project from the search expression editor, because there's no
> technical relationship between them and I'd rather end up with one of
> the two options implemented very well, and maybe reimplemented better
> after we get user feedback on the first version, than get a half-baked
> version of both of them.  (I'm perfectly capable of writing half-baked
> code all on my own. ;-) )

I think i got what you mean. However, considering the fact that so many web
browers and text editors today can highlight the search word, isn't there
some available library or something like xapian with which one can do this
job easily?please correct me directly if i'm wrong about that, because i
didn't do any useful research on that. i'm just curious about it.

The icon represents the status of the package.  e.g., if you have a
> package that's not installed there won't be a green dot.  There are some
> other icons that show up in less common circumstances.  If you hover the
> mouse over the icon, you'll see a brief description of it.
>
> At a first glance, I'm not very enthusiastic about the idea of trying
> to assign icons based on package "categories"; it seems like it would be
> very hard to design icons that visually represent categories, and it
> would be hard for the user to remember them.  I'd rather just add
> sections to the list as text (and now that we have more sections, they
> might be halfway useful again).

yeah, the icon selection is very tricky for me too. However, I still think
many same color and same shape icons stacking  together is a little
confusing , especially for the colorblind people. But the brief description
showed when hovering mouse over the button could alleviate the pain, though.

That sounds like hard AI research -- probably out of scope for a
> three-month coding project!  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though; a
> concrete example of what you mean would help explain your idea.

*nod*. It's very hard, i guess.Acctually, I didn't even think about the AI
research when i write that idea down!
what i really mean is:
Since aptitude can *define* the conflictions and *provide* suggestions now,
maybe we can brief these two kinds of information into messages. Of course
the key part of the message are only the package names and versions. And
with this kind of message, user can easily google it automatically or
just copy-paste and google them manually. At least, user will not have the
trouble to input the package name into google themselves anymore.(some of
the packages names are really hard to remember at your first glance).

--
Best,
Sha Liu