[Soc-coordination] Official Debian AWS EC2 AMIs?

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Sun Mar 29 10:43:55 UTC 2009

Le Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 09:48:34PM +0100, Obey Arthur Liu a écrit :
> Edouard Nemours a écrit :
> > Dear List,
> >
> > i'd love to raise awareness of the fact that many companies and users of
> > debian hosts move their systems to "the cloud" (for instance amazon ec2).
> > Recently Ubuntu started developing official Ubuntu EC2 images.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be nice to have official Debian EC2 images/AMIs, too?
> > Didn't find any discussion on this topic before.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --Ed
>
> Creating Debian EC2 images/AMIs and related tools would make a very cool
> Google Summer of Code project. Anyone willing to mentor that ?
>
> <http://wiki.debian.org/gsoc>

Hi all,

there is definitely a strong interest in the Debian Med project. The
computational needs of biologists are exploding, and cloud computing could be a
solution. However, I am already willing to mentor another project, the "Large
dataset manager", so whoever is intersted in having official EC2 images, please
step up. Otherwise, whether I am available will depend on the success of the
other project in getting accepted.

Lastly, as a caveat I must say that to use the Amazon computer cloud, one has
to install some non-free software written in Java…

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan