[Soc-coordination] Application For SOC09 - Apt Port - Win32

Nahar P mail2nahar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 11:04:05 UTC 2009

I had put my idea on irc & d moderator wished to see the application.
So Here is my proposal. A pdf version is also attatched.

Name : Nahar P.
Email : mail2nahar at gmail.com  (Gmail & Gtalk)

Background:
==========
I am doing my graduation (BSc. Computer Science distance edu.) &
working as a sysadmin. I have been an FSF supporter & working on Linux
( especially debian   & slackware)  for almost 3yrs and know the
internals of Linux & GNU tools well.  In the coding side my major is
C++,C, PHP & BASIC clones :(. Although most of my coding is on Win32,
I stick to GCC(MINGW) & GNU tool chain for my work. This Project has
been running in my mind for some time as I find it hard to download
debian packages from cafes & other places since most of them run
Windows and the dependency resolution becomes a headache.

Project Title :
==========
 APT-GET+APTonCD 4 Windows

Synopsis:
=======
 Win32 app to download deb packages & create an aptcdrom

Benefits To Debian :
================
People without an inet connected linux box can also download & install
deb pkgs. That means better  Application installation & better debian
userbase.

Deliverables:
==========
 A lite apt lib for win32, Create a Win32 synaptic look alike(port ?).

Project Details:
============
Enable Win32 users to download & make a APTCD or AptZip. User can
either choose an apt package list of a standard distro or import a
custom one. Based on this list application  would resolve dependencies
& download requested packages. Then it can either generate a repo iso
or an apt zip structure.  Also thinking of generating a custom
installation ISO including debian base ( low priority).  Currently am
planing to use C++ as the platform but python is also in
consideration. The UI is targeted to be built using  wxWidgets.
Options to build a web based interface in future is also in
consideration

Project Schedule:
=============
 Almost 2-3 months for development if nothing surprises in between.
Work will begin by end of April.

Other Summer Plans:
=================
Nothing much. Currently am on a project that'll end by April 28th. .

Exams and Other Commitments:
Well my 2nd year exams are on the way in July but I guess it really
doesn't interfere with SOC.

If you are not a Debian Developer:
My plans to stick to debian projects. I am interested in improving
debsplash & also adding features to debian installer so that it would
migrate a winxp/vista users profile & documents.