[Soc-coordination] let's look for _new_ Debian contributors!

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Mon Mar 15 13:21:44 UTC 2010

+++ Stefano Zacchiroli [2010-03-15 10:33 +0100]:
> Let's attack a recurrent GSoC subject, while we are still on time.
>
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:13:25PM +0000, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> > The program is a unique opportunity for Debian and eager to learn
> > students to meet each other and work together for the duration of a
> > summer. Often this has been the beginning of a great relation,
> > bringing fresh ideas and enthusiasm to the Project.
>
> Indeed!  So, as a corollary, it is pointless to hire students that are
> already active Debian contributors.

Personally I think that's going to far. I agree that it is better to
get new people than existing people, in general, but my overriding
feeling is simply to get cool stuff done, and if some of that is
existing contributors being given the opportunity to spend serious
time on things then that's fine too.

So, I'd just leave it to the project judges to weigh the pros and cons
of new blood vs known-competent/interested current contributors.
Reminding people of the importance of new blood even though their
expertise may be unknown is a good thing to do - it is easy to become
too inward-looking.

So, I think that puts me in the same camp as Sune - just carry on like
last year - it worked pretty well.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/