[Soc-coordination] Mentoring Organization opportunity for Google Code-in

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Wed Oct 27 11:44:29 UTC 2010

Hi all,

[I'm making a new thread instead of forward posting from
google-summer-of-code-mentors-list at googlegroups.com]

"Google Code-in, Google's contest to introduce pre-university students
to the many kinds of contributions that make open source software
development possible, is starting on November 22, 2010."

Rudy, are you still interested in this?
I could be tempted into doing it, but I fear that Debian is not
particularly adapted to that structure of the contest.
We could take RC bugs as individual task but right now, in the middle
of a freeze, RC bugs are really not trivial anymore.
There are also opportunities in translation (bubulle?) that might be
of interest and some other things (full list below).
What I am not sure of is whether we'll be able to come up with a huge
list of tasks considering the trouble we have each year to come up
with GSoC ideas, but I'm willing to try.

Cheers
Arthur

Full list of task areas:
1. Code: Tasks related to writing or refactoring code
2. Documentation: Tasks related to creating/editing documents
3. Outreach: Tasks related to community management and outreach/marketing
4. Quality Assurance: Tasks related to testing and ensuring code is of
high quality
5. Research: Tasks related to studying a problem and recommending solutions
6. Training: Tasks related to helping others learn more
7. Translation: Tasks related to localization
8. User Interface: Tasks related to user experience research or user
interface design and interaction