[Soc-coordination] Status of the Taverna/BOINC/Wrapper/GeneticCloning projects

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Thu Apr 7 00:17:06 UTC 2011

Le Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 05:06:50PM -0400, Obey Arthur Liu a écrit :

> Similar projects submitted by students the previous years have been
> immediately notified of the various issues suggested above and forwarded to
> more relevant organizations.

Hello Arthur,

This does not correspond to my experience for the years 2008 and 2009.  I do
not remember that projects that got the interest of a mentor in Debian were
discarded before the slot assignment for the sole reason of being less related
to core processes of Debian than other projects.

About vagueness of the proposals, I think that it is indeed an important point
on which to filter, but during the ranking phase, where what is evaluated is
the student's project, not the seed idea on the Debian side.

I think that we should let good projects compete as long as they are supported
by a Debian mentor.  Why rejecting contriubutions ?  Are you worried to have so
many slots that you are already considering to return some empty ones that
could only be filled by projects related to science ?  Unless you had more than
a hundred of students applying,  the trend is rather to have the same number or
less slots, isn't it ?  And the applications to projects related to science
contribute to the number of slots that Debian gets.

If the slot attribution is done the same as in 2008 and 2009, it will just take
the mentors participating to the ranking to ignore anything with “science” in,
to get these projects kicked out unless the student proposals on more core
tasks are weak.  I think that it would be a good compromise.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,