[Soc-coordination] Debian's GSoC, applications received

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Sat Apr 9 21:44:05 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 11:24:58PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I will not mentor this year, so perhaps I should not give too many advices, but
> still, I strongly recommend to rank the students, not the proposals, and only
> then resolve proposal duplicates if there are any, and then sort the students
> of equivalent strength according to the general importance of their proposal.

What is the advantage of this?
I only see disadvantages: we all work more unnecessarily and more important,
we tell mentors what student they should take, when this should be decision
of the mentors.
As you can see on-list, e.g. Steffen has a clear idea in his projects and I
am sure most of the mentors have also theirs. Also, if some mentors are not
happy with any of their proposals and they do not want to work with any of those
students, why tell them they have to mentor them anyway?

When you say:"I strongly recommend to rank the students, not the proposals",
what do you mean? Because what we would be ranking is the *students proposals* :)
It is not if you liked the original project or not, it is if the quality
of the student proposal and other indicators that make us to think it has
more changes to be more sucesful than the others.

Ana