[Soc-coordination] ESA Summer of Code in Space 2011

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Jul 7 10:41:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 20:12 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Jul 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> > > Does Debian have any space related software?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Do you know of any specific packages?

apt-cache shows a lot of them, keywords "orbital", "celestial", "space",
"orbit".   And there is also octave and R, plus the numbercrunching
libraries like ATLAS.

> > There is this:
> > http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/org_admin_mentor_agreement
> >
> > 3. INDEMNITY
[..]

> A similar clause is present in the Google Summer of Code. In fact the
> SOCSIS one is a word-for-word copy with s/Google/SOCSIS (wdiff below).

I looked for it before to posting, and didn't manage to find it.  My bad.

> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/mentoragmt

> Are you suggesting that Debian should pull out of the Google Summer of
> Code? or that it is OK for Debian to also join the SOCSIS?

Well, ESA can't be a more high-profile target [to patent trolls and
submarine patents] than google.  If the DPL and the SPI lawyers are okay
with it for GSOC, I suppose there is no reason to not also join the SOCSIS.

  Henrique Holschuh