[Soc-coordination] Questions about participation

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Wed Mar 2 15:24:15 UTC 2011

Karolina Kalic:
> Hi to all,
>
> My name is Karolina, I'm a student from Serbia, and a proud user of Debian.
> Some may know me from Debian Women list. I'm also a packager for Debian,
> pidgin-microblog is my package, and I'm preparing some new ones in recent
> time. But, I'm not a programmer, at least not yet. So, I was wondering if
> there is some way that I could participate in Google Summer of Code. I saw
> that in Google Code-in was some projects that are not strictly code
> related. I would like very much to participate in GSoC, I would like to
> learn to code to, if that is possible in such short notice. Please tell me
> if there is a chance for me, so that I don't apply if It is not possible.
> I would continue to contribute to Debian no matter what. And I'll see you
> at DebConf, of course. :)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Karolina
Hi Karolina,

I had a similiar question and got it answered on the gsoc list:
<http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-
discuss/browse_thread/thread/cae4480c5b4934f3>

So I believe the end result of your project must be something executable.

What do you mean with "I'm not a programmer"? As in: I know only a little PHP
or I don't know to tell the difference between an if and a for-loop?
Just try to get in and if you won't succeed this time, try it again next year!

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro