[Soc-coordination] Questions about participation

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Thu Mar 3 22:24:07 UTC 2011

Hi Karolina,

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 02:35:17AM +0100, Karolina Kalic wrote:
> My name is Karolina, I'm a student from Serbia, and a proud user of Debian.
> Some may know me from Debian Women list. I'm also a packager for Debian,
> pidgin-microblog is my package, and I'm preparing some new ones in recent
> time. But, I'm not a programmer, at least not yet. So, I was wondering if
> there is some way that I could participate in Google Summer of Code. I saw
> that in Google Code-in was some projects that are not strictly code related.
> I would like very much to participate in GSoC, I would like to learn to code
> to, if that is possible in such short notice. Please tell me if there is a
> chance for me, so that I don't apply if It is not possible. I would continue
> to contribute to Debian no matter what. And I'll see you at DebConf, of
> course. :)

Summer of Code and Code-in are different programs. Code-in accepted all kind
of contributions but Summer of code is mostly about code, see [1].

I do not think you should worry so much about your programming skills, we are
not asking about experienced coders here, more than for people who is
enthusiastic, want to improve their skills and more importantly wants to make
Debian better.
Not all Debian projects are about writing 30000 thousands of lines of code
anyway, if you look at the current list of proposed projects [2], there are
at least 2 of them that ask for technical skills you already have (packaging).

Ana

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs#documentation
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/Applying