[Soc-coordination] Call for Projects & Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2012

Niels Thykier niels at thykier.net
Sun Feb 19 15:38:29 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-16 13:57, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Hi!
>
> [...]

Hi,

> This year, we're not just calling for projects and mentors, but try to
> approach various teams that we think could benefit greatly from the
> summer of code. We believe that Lintian, with it's ever growing requests
> for new checks, the desire to have a more complete test suite, could
> offer a good project or two for perl-sawwy students this year.

I think we can dig out a project or two.   Actually, I already did...
Some of you may remember I suggested that we created the
"lintian-harness" frontend[1]. :)

As I understood Ana on IRC, it could be useful to divide the project
into two parts.  A small "get started" part and a larger "the real deal"
part.  I was thinking something like:

 1. part harness test-suite ("get started")
    - I got some sample scripts that might be useful for the student
      get started.
 2. part rewritten harness frontend ("the real deal")
    - Based on the spec in [1], but possible with some changes to it.

Do people think this is a reasonable size for a project?

> [...]
>
> Of course, all this comes with a price: for each project, we need a good
> description, that will attract students, and a mentor (or more!) who can
> respond to students in a timely manner during the summer. Since this is
> a hard task to accomplish, we, as admins are more than happy to help you
> develop a stunning project for the summer.
>
> [...]

I am willing to mentor a student for a project like the above.  For a
different Lintian project, I suspect I will at least be able to be a
co-mentor.

~Niels

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-lint-maint/2011/08/msg00285.html