[Soc-coordination] SOC idea: Debianizr

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Wed Feb 22 07:45:00 UTC 2012

Hi,

I already added this idea to the wiki page, but I assume I should have
proposed it here on the list first... Sorry.

= Debianizr =

Debianizr is a web application for Debian maintainers and upstream developers
who wants to check, whether their Software could be easily packaged for
Debian. Debianizr starts working by cloning a given Git repository and
prepares as much as possible for a final Debian package:

 * Check whether the Git repository contains GPG signed version tags
 * Check for a trust path to the key used for the signed tags
 * Check for binary files
 * Run [[DebPkg:devscripts|licensecheck]] (or [[DebPkg:ohcount|ohcount]]) over
the code and check whether all files have an appropriate licenseheader
 * Try to prepare a debian/copyright file
 * Try to figure out dependencies and their availability in Debian (for Java,
C)
 * Propose a package name according to naming policies
 * Set up a Git packaging branch in the cloned Git repo

Debianizr is expected to be extended over time with many more tasks.

 * '''Confirmed Mentor''': n.n. (maybe [[ThomasKoch]])
 * '''How to contact the mentor:''' (mail, IRC, etc)
 * '''Confirmed co-mentors:'''
 * '''Deliverables of the project''': A working web application in a language
of choice
 * '''Desirable skills''': Web development in a serious language (not PHP),
e.g. Scala/Java + JAX-RS, Python + Django, Perl + ?
 * '''What the student will learn:''' Debian packaging, Git, Restful web
architectures

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro