[Soc-coordination] Report 2 — Improving Team Activity Metrics

Vipin Nair swvist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 03:51:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

This is the second report on the GSoC project 'Improving Team Activity
Metrics' with Sukhbir Singh and Andreas Tille as the mentors.

I have continued my work on the API. My progress so far and the future
work plan is given below.

1) Getting data on an annual time frame.

All the data requests to the API returned data with default timeframe
being a month, i.e., for all metrics, the return data was available
for each month for all the available years. This could be a lot of
data, specially for more active teams, hence I added an option to
return data on a annual timeframe, which was the default for the
project before I started.

Example : Default monthly data access

    GET api/v1/<TEAM_NAME>/<METRIC_NAME>/

Example: Annual data can be accessed by

    GET api/v1/a/<TEAM_NAME>/<METRIC_NAME>/

2) Getting data for custom time range.

Initially, the API returned all the available data for any requests.
Users may be more interested in getting data for a custom time range,
so I have made the API time range aware. It now accepts GET variables
that specify a custom time range.

Example:

    GET api/v1/<TEAM_NAME>/<METRIC_NAME>/?startyear=<YYYY>&startmonth=<MM>&endyear=<YYYY>&endmonth=<MM>

The above defined variables can be used with any* API for data over a
custom time range.

There is one known bug in accessing the above data for all metrics.
I'll fix it soon.

3) Validation and error handling.

I have added unit tests for all the codes(till 3rd last commit). The
test coverage is 100% and all the 45 tests pass now. I have hosted the
project coverage report online. It can be accessed at:

http://swvist.github.com/teammetrics-coverage/

I have added appropriate error handling code for cases like wrong API
version, unsupported API version and I am presenting the users with
appropriate warning/error messages. The earlier mention error code is
isolated in a separate branch (web-timerange) in the repo. I'll fix
this soon.

4) Setting up the project on blends.d.n

We have had some trouble hosting this on blends.d.n. We tried this
once and for now we have stopped working on this as Andreas was
slightly busy. This was not very urgent so we'll try this again when
he gets time.

5) Future work

Sukhbir and I discussed the project and we have decided what would be
presented for the upcoming mid evaluation. The plans is to finish the
API and add a UI for presenting the graphs that are currently
generated on the server. I have started experimenting with the
interface and expect to come up with a good one soon.

Links:
Project Repo : https://alioth.debian.org/scm/browser.php?group_id=100628
(web, web-devel)

--