[Soc-coordination] Report - SysV-init file creator from systemd service files

akhil vij akhil.iiit at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 05:51:51 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

Please find my second report below.

Second Report
===========

Project - Sys-V init file creator from systemd service files

Status of the project so far:

In the last fortnight, I was not able to do as much work as I would have
liked as I got a little busy with my research work. But still I pushed
through the initial 'dirty' version of the tool in my git repository [1].
The tool is in its very initial stage and I intend to put a lot more code
in the coming week. The main approach I am using is to parse the input
systemd service file with python, identify the sections and extract the
underlying sections. I have started working on the linking part. Now, I
link each extracted systemd option to an appropriate Sys-V option (or bash
command).The linking has been done for the following sysV options :

LSB header part : I have linked the following options for the Sys-V init
file with their systemd counterparts : Short-Description, Required-Start,
Default-Start and Default-Stop. I have also extracted the default runlevels
for the service. Each of this option is then followed by a list of
facilities provided by this service (corresponding to the input systemd
file) or the list of runlevels (in case of Default-Start and Default-Stop).
I plan to extract and link for Provides, Should-start, Should-stop,
Required-Stop and Description by the end of this week.

Initializing Environment variables : So far I have linked the location of
the environment file, name of the service and location of the pid file of
the service.

Required Action : The converted Sys-V init file currently supports the
following actions : start(), stop() and reload(). Although the conversion
is in its very initial stage, I intend to improve it a lot by playing
around with many more systemd service files in the coming week. I also
intend to add support for status(), condrestart() and force-reload actions
by the end of coming week.

Things got a little bit slow from my end this week, but now I am free of
any other commitments and will push more code through. My target is to come
with the first complete version of the tool before the mid-term
evaluations, as mentioned in the initial proposal [0]. Parallely, I will
also keep testing the tool with scripts of major services in Debian.

[0] : http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/StudentApplications/akhilvij
[1] : https://github.com/akhilvij/systemd-to-sysvinit-converter