[Soc-coordination] Help required

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Sat Nov 3 11:04:53 UTC 2012

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 14:15:41 +0530
Rushi Shukla <rushboy52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am new to open source development and i am really interested in going for
> GSOC 2013 . I would like debian to be my mentoring organisation . I am
> highly dedicated towards programming and research . Can anyone please guide
> me as to how do i contact a mentor and ask him/her to provide me
> documentation on any projects that debian is undertaking .Also do I need to
> submit some bug-solving code in github . How do I get in touch with a
> mentor ? Any sort of help is highly appreciated . Awaiting your reply soon .

I'm not sure if any projects have been organised for GSoC 2013 by
Debian so far. It's too early. The information on previous years gives
some idea of how the next projects will be organised and published:

http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012

http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects

Once projects are offered, the equivalent pages for 2013 will bear
contact details for each mentor who has offered a project.

As for what you can do now, becoming familiar with Debian infrastructure
is one part, it isn't necessarily about github. That will be easiest if
you are running Debian already. If you have patches to fix bugs in
Debian, file those patches using the Debian Bug Tracking System
(bugs.debian.org) under the relevant bug. (File a new one for issues
which haven't been filed by running reportbug on a Debian system.) The
BTS operates by email, you don't need an account on a server.

If there are particular issues which you'd like to see offered by
Debian as projects for GSoC 2013, use the wiki for previous years and
the Debian website team pages to locate teams and ask about offering a
project for 2013.

http://www.debian.org/intro/organization

--

Neil Williams