[Soc-coordination] GSoC + OPW + small tasks requirement

Mònica Ramírez Arceda monica at debian.org
Sun Apr 7 16:57:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

First, I would like to introduce myself: I'm Mònica Ramírez Arceda and I
am one of the coordinators of OPW (Outreach Program for Women) in Debian
side.

This 6th round of OPW (the first one that Debian will take part) will be
in parallel with GSoC and we could say that, from GSoC mentors point of
view, OPW is one slot more, but where participants can be non-students.
Here you have more information about this program:
https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen

Since we're trying that mentees processes are exactly the same for GSocC
and for OPW, we've been discussing on IRC about one requirement that OPW
has and that may be nice to implement in GSoC as well. The requirement
is to ask the applicant for a small contribution related to the project.
Here you have the advices for mentors that gives OPW program and tlaks
about these small contributions:
https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen#For_Mentors

I have two questions:
* Would mentors agree that mentees ask them to do a previous small task
related to their project?
* What do you think about implementing this requirement to GSoC process?

Cheers,
Mònica