[Soc-coordination] GSOC project(s) for arm64 porting

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Thu Apr 11 17:02:35 UTC 2013

[ discussed briefly on irc yesterday, now coming to the list as
  suggested before putting anything in the wiki ]

Hi folks,

I'd like to suggest a project (or maybe several) for the Summer of
Code this year, working on arm64 (aka AArch64) porting. There's some
efforts going on already using software models to assist with porting
and validation, and we're expecting to see the first real hardware
sometime this summer. I'm working in Linaro on some related projects
(see https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/OPTIM/Assembly for
example).

As arm64 is a new architecture, there's quite a bit of work that could
usefully be done by students in helping us to get the port going:

 * setup of some infrastructure for building packages, both "natively"
   in a software model and via cross-building

 * development of a test harness to compare the output of native- and
   cross-builders, to help us verify that cross-building is working
   correctly

 * direct porting of software to the new architecture, targeting both
   upstream development and Debian packaging (whichever is necessary)

There are several DDs around who might be interested in mentoring
projects in this area (me, Wookey, Riku, at least...) so we could run
several projects for different students if that fits OK.

Thoughts?

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,