[Soc-coordination] GSoC project: fedmsg for the Debian infrastructure

Simon Chopin chopin.simon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 11:50:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

Nicolas Dandrimont and I are currently working on a project proposal for
the Google Summer of Code to use the messaging system written by Fedora,
fedmsg[0][1], within the Debian infrastructure (some of you might have seen
the various ITPs related to that on -devel).

Tollef kindly pointed out to us that Debian service administrators would
probably have something to say about all this, so here we are.

As a premise, please note that we obviously plan to make fedmsg
distro-agnostic before anything else (than packaging). The original
upstream author seems very enthousiastic about the project, which makes
it probable that we won't have to carry those patches on our own.

The thing itself is based on the ZeroMQ protocol.

To quote Nicolas:
> One of the key outcomes of getting such a system in place, is that everyone,
> everywhere, can start listening to the messages and using them, opening up lots
> of doors for people to make amazing services based on Debian.
>
> A few ideas:
>  - getting a signal from the archive on an accepted package (I'm confusing
>    binaries and sources for the sake of brevity):
>    → Trigger a piuparts run
>    → Trigger lintian checks
>    → Let any derivative intent a rebuild
>    → Signal ports to rebuild
>    → Trigger a jenkins job on specific package uploads
>    → Post to pump.io/identi.ca/twitter
>    → get a notification on your desktop
>    → ...
>  - one of your pet packages gets a git commit
>    → try a rebuild
>    → run QA checks
>    → ...
>
> (boy, that escalated quickly)
>
> I think the possibilities are quite nice, and, as the fedmsg webpage says, that
> "gives new meaning to open infrastructure".

Two features I'd like to implement during this GSoC that are not AFAICT
already present in fedmsg are GPG support and some kind of playback
mechanism for the systems where it is important that all messages are
sent and received (there are some others where the information would
have value only at the time of emitting, I suppose).

Questions, comments?

Cheers,
Simon

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/StudentApplications/SimonChopin
[1] http://fedmsg.com/

PS: debian-admin, debian-services-admin and soc-coordination Cc-ed for
reference, but further discussion should be on -devel. Upstream author
Ralph Bean <rbean at redhat.com> also Cc-ed, it would probably be useful to
keep him in the loop.