[Soc-coordination] GSoC project: fedmsg for the Debian infrastructure

Simon Chopin chopin.simon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 19:49:15 UTC 2013

Quoting Stephen Gran (2013-04-25 21:17:29)
> Hi,
>
> This one time, at band camp, Simon Chopin said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Nicolas Dandrimont and I are currently working on a project proposal for
> > the Google Summer of Code to use the messaging system written by Fedora,
> > fedmsg[0][1], within the Debian infrastructure (some of you might have seen
> > the various ITPs related to that on -devel).
> >
> > Tollef kindly pointed out to us that Debian service administrators would
> > probably have something to say about all this, so here we are.
> >
> > As a premise, please note that we obviously plan to make fedmsg
> > distro-agnostic before anything else (than packaging). The original
> > upstream author seems very enthousiastic about the project, which makes
> > it probable that we won't have to carry those patches on our own.
> >
> > The thing itself is based on the ZeroMQ protocol.
>
> One of the principles, up to now, of system design for the debian.org
> infrastructure has been that it can tolerate single nodes being off line
> for periods of time.  My understanding of ZeroMQ is that it doesn't do
> very well when the sender and the receiver aren't on line at the same
> time.  I have not used ZeroMQ in any serious way, so I'm only repeating
> what I've heard.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, as I understand it, when sender or receiver are not online, there
is simply no message passing. If your concern is about what happens to
the backlog when the consumer comes back online, then I've already
written about that earlier today :-)

> It may be time to revisit our assumptions, of course - our hosting is
> dramatically better than it was when I joined the project, and even
> since I started doing DSA work.
>
> Thanks for looking into it - something like this would be very useful
> for us.
Thanks for your input,

Cheers,
Simon