[Soc-coordination] hardware for SoC projects?

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at err.no
Fri Apr 26 10:19:27 UTC 2013

]] Daniel Pocock

Cc-ing d-a at lists.d.o

> One other thing that comes to mind from the message broker discussion:
> should students be encouraged to base their projects on new hardware
> requirements (e.g. a new box for running a message broker or some
> database or whatever)?

It depends.

> Can the SoC team go to the DSA team or DPL to get provisional budget
> approval, e.g. if this student/project is selected, Debian is 100%
> committed to buy the hardware (or allocate existing hardware) to run the
> student's project?

Well, it depends on the amount of hardware they're going to need.  If
it's just a VM for deployment with not particularly high requirements,
we can just foot that without much process.  If it's some bigger
project, you need to talk to us and we'll work something out.

So basically: If you need something on debian.org, talk to us and we'll
let you know.

> I don't think students should be deterred from doing projects that
> involve new hardware resources, this happens in real world projects all
> the time.

That'll depend on the costs.  I don't think we should approve projects
that have prohibitive costs and like real world projects, financial
constraints are one of the many one has to take into consideration.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen