[Soc-coordination] Report week 8, Redesign metapackage creation for Debian Blends

Emmanouil Kiagias e.kiagias at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 19:16:07 UTC 2013

Hello,

This week did not include coding. I mostly discussed[0] with my mentor
about how to improve the project's code. I started working on the following
ideas:

* Handle packages containing numbers in their name (may be we have two
versions of one package inside the archive)

A dependency might not be found into UDD cause the version in the package
name is not updated. In this case it would make sense to replace this
package with the package containing the latest version in its name.

* Handle packages that are not found inside the archive but look
"suspicious" for changed name.

This will happen when a package is updated and its name changed but the
package is not updated into the task files. A first approach handling such
cases will be to look into the column "replaces" of packages UDD table.

* update blend-gen-control in order to regard versioned dependencies

Next week:

Next week I will attend on the DebConf. In the spare time I will start
coding the above mentioned ideas. Also from now on I will continue
developing only one version of the scripts and specific the
sec-blend-gen-control(and not both) and in cause I step on trouble I might
fallback to the other version of the script(blend-gen-control).

[0]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/2013/08/msg00006.html ,
https://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/2013/08/msg00008.html ,
https://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/2013/08/msg00010.html