[Soc-coordination] Status Report of ZFS on Linux Integration, Week 7

Aron Xu happyaron.xu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 09:26:17 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

This is the eighth report of ZFS on Linux Integration GSoC project.

In this week, I have moved the work on partman/partman-zfs to git head
version of the two packages, as I've observed there are some really
helpful (and extensive) changes done in the new versions. But such
change also caused some trouble for me because I need to re-adapt to
those changes. So far it basically works on creating filesystems,
using legacy mountpoints for /boot /usr, etc (for the support of
beadm-like tools later), and partman does not yell for failures when
committing changes anymore. But there are bugs, for example removing
existing volumes looks not working very well. And when finishing the
process partman-base may consider nothing has changed and show a
warning, though this is safe to ignore and continue since the
filesystem is created and mounted as expected.

But when going forward to install the base system, the installer is
then going to an endless loop. I'm not sure if this is the problem I
caused in supporting ZoL (but looks unlikely), or just I haven't
gotten my mini.iso correct (I only updated to git head version of
partman/partman-zfs, other components are still wheezy). Anyway, I'll
deal with problems like this in next week. A changed git tree will be
published soon as I'm still clearing up my workspace, this is the main
reason I'm sending this report a bit late than usual since I was
attempting to get it done before sending this, :)

The new mini.iso:
http://people.debian.org/~aron/gsoc2013/week7/zol-mini-amd64-20130719.iso

--
Regards,