[Soc-coordination] Status report, week 8: FedMsg for Debian

Simon Chopin chopin.simon at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 17:52:35 UTC 2013

Hello,

Late 8th report for the "FedMsg for Debian" project, the tardiness (and
the fact that I haven't done computer-related for that matter) on Friday
is because I had to take an sudden personal day for family reasons.

I am currently writing this report on my way to DebConf, so forgive me
if I don't provide much links :-).

First of all, I'm pleased to announce that all of my patches so far have
been integrated upstream, thanks to the work of Ralph Bean. This
includes the replay feature server and client side (with a bit of
documentation, although I could have done better on that front), and the
ability to fetch endpoints using SRV records.

I've also worked a bit on debmessenger and fedmsg-meta-debian to improve
the human readability. Whilst doing this I have noticed that there was a
type of mails from the BTS that debmessenger didn't like at all, namely
the "transcript" type, which is the answer to mails at control at bugs.d.o.

The solution will be to parse the mail to get the most informations out
of it, and dispatch it in several messages on the bus depending on how
many packages are dealt with in the mail.

I've also been able to assess how shitty the situation is regarding GPG
bindings for Python. There are several implementations available, with
apparently a preference for pygpgme, except that this package is totally
undocumented and isn't pure Python but an extension. Combine the two and
throw a FTBFS on top of that and you can understand why I'm actually
wondering if it wouldn't be best to write my own set of bindings!

I can't say I have plans for next week except attending DebConf. We'll
probably assess the situation with Nicolas, which means I will be
posting a followup to this report soon-ish.

Cheers,
Simon