[Soc-coordination] Status Report of ZFS on Linux Integration, Week 9

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Sun Aug 25 17:55:37 UTC 2013

On 24/08/13 14:22, Aron Xu wrote:
> To verify what's the problem that I cannot get debootstrap working on
> my local qemu/kvm virtual machine, I've found an VMware ESXi server
> and created a virtual machine to test the image. The result is
> debootstrap is running and I can go forward until grub2 installation
> failed, which is the same result as Petter get. Networking seems to
> have problem since early time of the installation progress starts
> because I found that ntp service isn't working, either. But strange
> thing is when I switched to another console and in busybox shell
> downloading from a public mirror just work. I stopped discovering
> about networking for the moment and continued to deal with grub2.

I wonder if this problem is related to the way you are setting
networking (routing/NAT) between your virtual machine and the real one.

Is know that the default networking of qemu/kvm (user-mode) don't
implements any other protocol than TCP and UDP, which means that, for
example, ping and other ICMP utilities won't work. [1]

I would suggest testing the .iso on a real machine to hunt down where is
the problem: on the iso itself or on your virtual machine configuration.

For running machines with qemu/kvm I highly recommend you to use
virt-manager [2]. This wonderful GUI makes a joy running virtual
machines with kvm/qemu. It also takes care of all the networking details
as also other advanced configuration options for you.

Protip: If you don't care much if there is data loss on the virtual
machine, set the disk to use writeback as cache mode on the performance
options flap inside the disk options of the virtual machine.

Regards!
--------

[1] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Networking#User_mode_networking
[2] apt-get install qemu-kvm libvirt-bin virt-manager