[Soc-coordination] Possible GSoC idea: Cloud images for bioinformatics.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Feb 22 12:24:58 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Seems like a good idea to me; happy to have Debian-med cloud images in
the Debian AWS account, and to put them into the AWS Marketplace (@$0,
naturally).

The scripts we have used to generate Squeeze (and now Wheezy) images
have been totally Ander's Ingemann's ec2debian-build-ami; the biggest
missing component right now is the cloud-init and cfn-init package for
AWS; a Wheezy backport is underway AFAIK (its too late to include into
Wheezy, sadly). Other than that, if Debian-mid is just an additional set
of packages, then we should be able to easily generate a suitable image.

Looking at the Task list http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/; are
you suggesting a Cloud image for each task, or some subset?

I'm conscious of the point release 6.0.7 due real soon now - I've spoken
with Anders to tag a new point release of the ec2debian-build-ami script
which fixes a number of issues since 6.0.6 (such as deleting the root
EBS volume on Terminate in AWS). Beyond that I think we should now be
looking to target Wheezy - is that a fair target, or would people like a
Debian-med Squeeze AMI available as well?

  James
(AWS AMI Maintainer)
PS: I am not on the debian-med list or soc-coordination; please CC me
for my attention.
PPS: I am travelling to Seattle tonight for the next week, but will
still be on email to some fashion, and will be around to generate 6.0.7
images as the point release rolls out. Contact details in db.debian.org.

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to