[Soc-coordination] GSoC Mentors: GSoC Mentor Summit 2013

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 3 16:16:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au> wrote:
> On 03/07/13 17:55, Luke Faraone wrote:
>> Hi Daniel et al.,
>>
>> Some clarifications on the process are below; I've dealt with this
>> process in previous years and due to other reasons am familiar with
>> Google's purchasing process.
>>
>> On 3 July 2013 04:54, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au> wrote:
>>> I've just started looking over the details and made a hotel reservation.
>> It is important that you follow the reservation process outlined in
>> Carol's mail "[GSoC Mentors Announce] GSoC 2013: Mentor Summit Travel
>> and Details" using the link provided there; this should not have
>> required any payment information from you and will be billed to Google
>> directly.
>
> I have used Carol's link for registering - it prompted for my card
> details but said nothing would be charged to me.

That's for incidentals. If someone decides to throw a rock & roll
party and throw a few lamps through the wall, they need a card on file
(or eat all the peanuts in the mini-fridge)

>>> Carol's email suggests that flights should be paid after Google approves
>>> a PO - but I think that would be difficult in practice because
>>> international flight prices change a lot and most airlines don't make
>>> reservations without immediate payment any more.  Can one of the admins
>>> confirm that we can go ahead and book flights as soon as we find a good
>>> deal and without waiting for the Google PO approval process?
>> Generally, SPI gets approval for a PO, then you book the flights, then
>> SPI files an invoice against the PO for the actual price, and once
>> that is received you are mailed a check. However the policy is
>> different this year; SPI will be reimbursing you immediately after the
>> summit while it waits on reimbursement from Google.
>>
>> SPI's policy for reimbursement was outlined in Josh's mail "[GSoC
>> Mentors] Organizations affiliated with SPI, please read"; in summary,
>> email SPI as soon as possible after the summit with your receipts.
>>
>> This will require you paying for the flights yourself, then getting a
>> reimbursement from SPI. If this presents a hardship, SPI has policies
>> to handle that.
>
> I don't mind waiting a reasonable time for SPI to process the
> re-imbursement, the only concern I had is about the flight prices
> changing between the time the quote is submitted and the time that
> approval comes back.
>
> Reading through the web pages, however, some of the information gives me
> the impression that Google will just give SPI a blanket approval for
> $2,200 and the SPI invoices for the actual amount spent - can anybody
> confirm if this type of approval has been sought or granted already?  If
> so, I'll just go ahead and book the flights in the next few days.

I'm out of the loop, so I can no confirm this yet.

> Thanks for the feedback about this
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.

#define sizeof(x) rand()
:wq