[Soc-coordination] [Package Tracking System rewrite] Week 1 - June 21 - Status Report

Marko Lalic marko.lalic at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 13:30:06 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am the student working on the project "Package Tracking System rewrite in
Django". The primary goals of the project are to reimplement the features
of the existing PTS so that the content is more dynamic, while cleaning up
the implementation so it is easier for new people to join and hack on it
than it is the case with the current one. Making the application easily
configurable in all aspects to make it easy for Debian derivatives to set
up their version of the PTS is also a high priority. Other than that, some
important bugs and feature requests will also find their way in the new
PTS. For more information you can check my official application in the wiki
[1] and Melange [2].

Even though GSoC's official start of coding date was this Monday, I was
eager to start working as soon as possible and when my mentor, Raphaël
Hertzog, and co-mentor, Stefano Zacchiroli, suggested to start during the
community bonding period I accepted.

We agreed to use an agile, scrum-inspired project management method where
the sprint/iteration length is one week (Wednesday-to-Wednesday). The idea
is to have a working part of the application at the end of each week, which
interested parties could test. We are using trello to track user stories
and their status; anyone interested in having a more real-time knowledge of
the status of the work can track the board at [3]. The Test Driven
Development method is also utilized.

So, first week - June 5 - June 12 - the following was done:

   - Rough drafts for the most important stories of the PTS
   - Set up an AWS EC2 micro instance to serve as the deployment box
   - Acceptance tests for the email-interface related stories
   - Work on implementing the first stories (half of the week)

June 12 - June 19

   - Previous iteration's finished stories deployed on the EC2 instance
   - Started fleshing out web-interface related stories
   - Acceptance tests/time estimations for the first of them
   - Work on implementing the stories planned for the iteration
   - Various refactoring work

June 19 - today

   - Bug fixes and some refactoring
   - New deployment

All the stories/features currently finished are:

   - Mail control bot, basic rules
   - Subscribe to messages email control command
   - Email dispatch - basic/no tagging or classification
   - Unsubscribe from messages control command
   - List one's own subscriptions control command
   - List all email control commands (help)
   - Management commands for integrating the PTS with Exim4/Postfix and the
   related documentation for both MTAs
   - Modify/set subscription keywords control command
   - Email classification/tagging for the Debian specific implementation
   - View subscription keywords control command
   - Modify a user's default keywords control command
   - View a user's default keywords control command
   - Unsubscribe from all messages control command

Finally, I invite anyone interested to follow the status of the project on
trello and test features as they are rolled out to the deployed column on a
weekly basis. (To try out the mail interface you can send control emails to
control at pts.debian.net - use help to see the list of currently implemented
and deployed commands)

This email is a bit on the long side since I am including ~2.5 weeks worth
of work.

Thanks for reading.

Kind regards,
Marko Lalic