[Soc-coordination] OPW / GSoC confusion, deadlines, wiki edits

Mònica Ramírez Arceda monica at debian.org
Wed May 1 12:40:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 14:23 +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> * Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au> [2013-05-01 10:32:45 +0200]:

> > Furthermore, it is not clear what the policy is on wiki edits:
> >
> > - are female candidates prohibited from updating the wiki after 19:00
> > UTC today (1 May, the OPW deadline), or can they make further edits and
> > improvements up to 3 May (the GSoC deadline)?
>
> Let's clear the confusion here: for GSoC, all students can (and are even
> encouraged to) edit and improve their proposal until the accepted proposals are
> chosen.
>
> The first hard deadline for that is May 22nd, for the first deduplication
> meeting. The idea is that we want to know, by that date, which students we
> really want to have on board. I'll write another mail on the subject of student
> ranking later today.

OPW applicants should apply before 1st May 19:00 UTC. This means they
must fill the template in the wiki before this deadline, but they can
improve it later in the same way GSoC applicants do.

> > - do coding samples have to be submitted before the deadline, or can
> > they be submitted during the evaluation period?  For last minute
> > applicants, it appears better for them to do the wiki and melange
> > applications now and do coding exercises later, maybe even on the weekend.
>
> The coding samples are an help for you to evaluate the student, and your
> working relationship with him. They certainly can come during the evaluation
> period.

For OPW applicants, we apply the same criteria: they can do their
contributions/tasks during the evaluation period.

I would like to remember everyone that once applicants have done the
task, their results should be linked from the applicant template.

Cheers!