[Soc-coordination] Weekly report (14th week) - Debian GNU/Hurd Debianish initialization

4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de 4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Sep 23 11:38:26 UTC 2013

.. link:
.. tags: gsoc, debian, hurd
.. date: 2013/09/23 13:04:26
.. title: Final GSoC report
.. slug: final-gsoc-report

This is my final report :) the GSoC was great, I learned a lot about
the Hurd and Mach programming in general. I am also very pleased to
announce that I reached my initial goal and almost all of my patches
already made it upstream and into Debian :)

I spent my last week `fixing issues I introduced
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2013-09/msg00210.html>`_
and splitting up `/hurd/init` into `two programs
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2013-09/msg00245.html>`_. This
would make it possible to integrate the patch that frees PID 1 for
`sysvinit` into the Hurd upstream sources. I didn't quite finish the
separation, but my proof of concept works and I will finish this as my
next Hurd project.

Looking back at the last fourteen weeks, I accomplished the following:

I implemented /proc/mounts, umount, freed up PID 1 for sysvinit, fixed
ifupdown, sysvinit and initscripts on Hurd, implemented a
proof-of-concept cgroupfs and fixed many small issues along the
way. Almost all of my patches are already upstream and in Debian, a
Debian/Hurd booting using sysvinit is just a few uploads away.

It has been a lot of fun and I will definitively see you around :)

Justus