[Soc-coordination] Final summary of ZFS on Linux integration project

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Thu Sep 26 09:37:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM, Aron Xu <happyaron.xu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you read _any_ of my reports? For example deliverable, see:
> http://people.debian.org/~aron/gsoc2013/week11/

Yes, all of them, very closely.  You did very little work vice the
other students in the GSoC program.

One of my review metrics for junior coders is the frequency of excuses
for non-performance.  85% of your reports had a regret or platitude
for such.

* Week 0: No coding because of reading and assessment.
* Week 1: No coding because of final exams.
* Week 2: Minor tweaks for initial upload.
* Week 3: Imported contributed works.
* Week 4: First links to potentially new code.
* Week 5: "There isn't very much interesting progress."
* Week 6: "No progress on results."
* Week 7: "The installer is then going to an endless loop."
* Week 8: No coding because of summer school.
* Week 9: "I cannot get debootstrap working... currently installation
of grub2 to harddisk fail".
* Week 10: "Progress is limited... too much work to be done so I gave it up".
* Week 11: Solicited expert help, but broke the upgrade path.
* Week 12: Local package repository setup.

Week 4 and Week 12 are the two reports that had potential.

> This will be my only response to this round of
> your replies, as both my mentor and me have said that you were
> starting non-sense threads with blaming and even sometimes without
> respect at the very beginning of Debian's ZoL related work.

You did not personally implement any of the primary GSoC project
goals.  To reiterate, you:

* Received the overlays and copyright audit from upstream.
* Received the udeb, kmod, and grub components from other contributors.
* Failed to completely integrate root filesystem support.
* Failed to implement apt-zfs-snapshot or beadm.
* Didn't test anything.
* Don't participate upstream.

Please, prove me wrong.  Post links to the source code repositories
that contain your original work and describe how they satisfy each
deliverable.  Recall that you initially got my attention by stripping
out copyright attributions and authorship information, so don't take
credit for anything that you didn't create.

If this GSoC submission is accepted and passed, then it will set a low
watermark for the quality and quantity of work required to get a grant
through the Debian organization.

--
Darik Horn <dajhorn at vanadac.com>