[Soc-coordination] Status Report. Project AppStream/DEP­11 for the Debian Archive. Week 12

Abhishek Bhattacharjee abhishek.bhattacharjee11 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 09:57:27 UTC 2014

Hi all,

This week the main task was to iron out anything that is left in the
generator part.
As suggested by my mentor I have changed the task of clearing the stale
cache(that has icons and screenshots) from rm.py to the generator(i.e
generate_metadata.py)

So cache could be cleared by running:
>> dak generate-metadata -s <suitename> -C

I have added scaling for screenshots so now we have source screenshots and
its scaled versions.

The lib-appstream part which we plan to start after the SoC that is after
18 Aug, for that I have started looking into the appstream code and started
playing around with libyaml. I plan to work with my mentor after the SoC is
finished.

We were facing some problem with extracting the icon from .deb file because
of a bug in pythons apt library. Matthias(my mentor) solved the bug and
currently we are waiting whether the corrected version could be used.

Before this I was using subprocess.call() which was creating a bottle neck.

Apart from this, through out the week I have made several changes to the
code[0], for improving performance and readability etc.

Next, week I'll try writing one or two blog posts about the work I have
done.
And also concentrate on further improvements that could be done on the code.

[0]https://github.com/abhi11/tanglu-dak

Thanks,
--
*Abhishek Bhattacharjee*