[Soc-coordination] week 12

Juliana Louback juliana.m.louback at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 00:29:13 UTC 2014

Status report - WebRTC portal for the Debian community

Week 12

This week I stopped working on the xTuple extension as I needed to put
together all the work I've been doing to launch the new jscommunicator
version with all the fixed bugs and new features. The first part of the
week was spent on that, putting together all the changes that were in
different git branches into one super version.

At Daniel's suggestion (mentor), I changed how the IM function was working.
I'd previously set up a tab for calls and another for chat, instead I made
each individual tab session to be displayed in a tab and the call controls
to always be displayed.

While doing this (I guess since it involved UI modifications), I decided to
revamp the layout of the app. I ended up getting more into this than I
intended. Long story short, there has been a complete 'make-over'. The
"super version" with all the new features and now new design can be tested
at http://debrtc.org/phone-dev.shtml

For next week, I will repackage jscommunicator for xTuple with the super
version. Also, in the new version I replaced a lot of textual buttons with
icons; I plan to use existing i18n support for tooltips for the icon
buttons. On the same track, I need to reach out to the contributors who
authored the  jscommunicator translations (currently in spanish, english,
french portuguese and hebrew wow) to update the translations as the new
features - namely, the IM component - have no translation for a few labels
and etc. So I'll be working on that next week as well as wrapping up my
work.

As I think this email goes to all the GSoC folk, I'd love for anyone who
has the time to snoop around the beta version on
http://debrtc.org/phone-dev.shtml. You can sign in using the test users:

display name: test1 or test2 or test3 or test4
uri:  test1 at debrtc.org or test2 at debrtc.org  or test3 at debrtc.org  or test4@
debrtc.org
password: abc (for any test user)

Try calling, chatting, using the language swap, etc.

I welcome any and all criticism with regard to the UI. I have no experience
in design and I kind of hate colors. If you think of anything that could be
better, please let me know.

Juliana