[Soc-coordination] debmetrics week 13 status update

Joseph Bisch joseph.bisch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:59:08 UTC 2014

Hi,

This week
========

This week I added documentation about adding new metrics and hacking
on debmetrics. I added mentors metrics (number of packages in mentors
system) and new member metrics (number of people at each stage of the
nm process). I added a statistics table to the dynamic interface that
displays the mean, standard deviation, min, and max for each column in
a metric. If a column is not numerical data, it displays nan, which
stands for not a number. I moved the legend outside of the graph on
the static interface to make the graph easier to read. I made the
Makefile run create_all.py, so that create_all.py would not need to be
ran separately after running make. I added displaying of the
description of the metrics to the dynamic interface. I remove the
tables in the dynamic interface before displaying a new metric in the
table, so that there are not multiple tables with different metrics. I
added sort arrows to the dynamic tables so that the tables can be
sorted ascending or descending. I removed the x button and dragtables
from the dynamic table, because they weren't compatible with the
datatable plugin.

I also fixed an issue that was preventing the pull_runner from
running. It was due to croniter not being installed for python3 on the
server. So I installed croniter and it fixed the issue.

I also fixed an issue with dpkg_formats. I was outputting the
display_fields in the pull script instead of the fields, so it was
inserting None for those fields.

Next week(s)
==========

GSoC ends Monday and I go to Debconf Thursday, so I don't think I'll
have much time to work on debmetrics. The week after I will be at
Debconf, so I don't think I will have much time to work on it then
either, but I might have some time when I'm not going to talks. We are
looking to deploy debmetrics on Debian hardware before Tuesday
afternoon (not this coming Tuesday, the one after, when Debconf is),
because that is when I have my talk.

When I do have time to work on debmetrics, I have some things I want
to work on. I have the things left over from previous weeks, like
fixing the tests, and creating a custom graph, and integrating the
custom graphs into the interfaces.

Adding the description to the dynamic interface causes the description
and some of the buttons to be placed on the next line, below the
graph, because the description is too long. Right now the description
uses a select element, which forces the description to be all on one
line. I plan to switch to using a text box, so that the description is
on multiple lines, and therefore has less width so that it doesn't
force the buttons below the graph.

Other than that, I don't have any new tasks for the coming weeks. I
think the most important task is to increase the number of metrics
offered.

Joseph