[Soc-coordination] debmetrics final report

Joseph Bisch joseph.bisch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:18:52 UTC 2014

Hi,

My project was debmetrics (Debian Metrics Portal). An instance is
available.[0] It was a great experience to work with my mentors Zack,
Stuart Prescott, and Piotr Ożarowski.

As a reminder, my project description[1] is to design and implement a
universal interface to add and view Debian project-wide metrics. There
is a web interface to view the metrics.

I think I have completed all the tasks for my project, except for the
optional packaging task. Debmetrics was not ready to be packaged, so
that will have to come later.

Even though I have completed the tasks outlined for GSoC, there is
still more work to be done on debmetrics. Tasks such as support for
custom graphs, which will allow for graphing more complex metrics.
Also theming, which will allow other organizations to make use of
debmetrics, replacing the Debian logo and colors with their own. And
of course we need people to add more metrics. See the TODO list[2] for
an up-to-date list of tasks that still have to be done.

I plan to continue working on debmetrics. I am also working on
packaging Armory for Debian. I am currently waiting on a new upstream
release that fixes something before I can package it.

I am attending Debconf. I will leave for Debconf tomorrow. I will meet
up with my mentors and fellow GSoC students there. I am also giving a
talk about debmetrics as part of the larger GSoC talk. Hopefully my
talk will encourage people to contribute, either code, or at least
some metrics. If you are not attending Debconf, you can view my slides
online.[3]

If you have any questions, please reply.

[0] - http://metrics.debian.net/
[1] - https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014/Projects/DebianMetricsPortal
[2] - http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/josephbisch-guest/debmetrics.git/tree/TODO
[3] - http://www.josephbisch.com/debmetrics.pdf