[Soc-coordination] Eighth report: Provide some metrics in Debile

Clément Schreiner clement at mux.me
Sun Jul 13 23:27:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

this is the eighth weekly report on my Summer of Code project 'Provide
some metrics in Debile'[1].

(Previous report:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/soc-coordination/2014-July/002175.html)

I didn't get much work done last WE and the beginning of the week
because of difficulties with my travel arrangements for the Debconf.

coccinelle
----------

I've had some difficulties with the coccinelle check. I managed to narrow
down the problem, but there's still work to do. I'll look into that with
Matthieu once we've got the rebuild with existing checks running.

debile blade servers - debian installer's preseed

Once it became apparent making coccinelle work would not be trivial,
Sylvestre encouraged me to focus on (finally) lauchning the full rebuild
on debile.debian.net. However, because two blade servers were not
responsive, I wanted to reinstall them. With the PXE/preseed setup in
place, it should have been trivial, but I've run into one problem after
another.

On the first try, the install seemed to stop after the partitioning
step, but all I could do to monitor it was to watch apt-cacher-ng's log
on ursae to see what packages had been downloaded.

After some looking around, I added a few commands to the preseed,
allowing to access the installer console over ssh[2].

The installer could not load the lvm-mod kernel module. Updating the
installer in the PXE fixed that somehow, but the partioning still
failed.

I haven't been able to understand what exactly was wrong, but I decided
to use a simple partioning scheme without LVM, but it still failed
because of the existing LVM setup.

15 hours or so of hair pulling later, while I was reviewing the call for
help I was about to send to debian-boot at lists.d.o, I finally managed to
reinstall the blade servers reliably.

debile-slave gpg configuration
------------------------------

I am now struggling with making the import of gpg keys on the fresh
debile-slave installs: the gpg keyring is empty, but the tool doing the
import (debile-slave-import-cred[3]) is not reporting any error. At the
moment, I have no idea what is going wrong.

Thanks for reading,

-------
Clément

[1]